Header
Jun
13th

Amusing Bingo Factoids

Bingo is a game that has been around since the 15th century and has clearly demonstrated its longevity. Bingo has evolved over the years into the game we know today. There are two popular versions of bingo; traditional 75 ball bingo and 90 ball bingo. There are many little known facts that make bingo a very interesting game. Here are some of those little known bingo factoids.

The largest bingo game in history took place at New York’s Teaneck Armory. 60,000 players took part in the mammoth bingo game. Even more interesting 10,000 would be players were turned away because of overcrowding.

Several famous celebrities are die hard bingo fans including pop singer Robbie Williams, Sharon Osbourne wife of famed rocker Ozzy Osbourne, actress Catherine Zeta Jones, and model and television personality Katie Price.

The French were the first to call game numbers aloud and also pioneered the use of markers to mark game cards.

It has been estimated that 7.5% of the world’s population plays bingo regularly.

Until 1929 bingo was commonly known as ‘beano.’ Toy salesman Edwin S. Lowe attended a game at a carnival in Georgia and mistakenly thought players were calling out ‘bingo’ when they won. He started marketing the game as ‘bingo ‘ for $1. His factory had to work three shifts to keep up with demand for the game.

In the UK people spend more money on bingo tickets than they do on tickets for football events.

Surveys show that contrary to popular belief financial gain is not important to most bingo players. Most players say they play bingo to have fun with friends.

There are about 1.500,000 different number combinations that can occur during a 75 ball bingo game.

During the 1800’s the Germans used a game very similar to modern bingo games to teach various school subjects.

Believe it or not the average bingo game only lasts about 4 minutes.

Bingo as a church fundraiser spread extremely fast. In 1934 just four years after the first church bingo game there were 10,000 church bingo games every week in the United States.

Surveys show that 70% of all bingo players are 35 and older and the other 30% are under the age of 35.

The largest bingo jackpot ever won was a little over $1 million dollars won in the UK.

In live bingo games players have 30 seconds or less to claim a win.

These are just a few of the more interesting bingo factoids available. Although bingo does not receive a lot of news coverage millions of people the world over play bingo regularly.